Please read the whole article
There is no strict rule how to recognize a potential scam but here are some guidelines that will help you distinguish a legitimate buyer from someone who is trying to rob you:
- Most of the scams usually express urgency. The “buyer” is in such a hurry that needs you to send your wedding dress before a payment is made. Do not ever send anything before you have been for it! (Unless, of course, you are using Escrow.com)
- You will be asked to provide sensible bank information for a bank transfer to be made. Usually bank routing number and account number (in the United States) or sort code and account number (in the United Kingdom). Never reveal your bank details to anyone you have never met in person! (However there are some cases of successful sales made through bank transfer payments, but before you take any action revealing any bank related information consult your bank first, and do not send the wedding dress before the payment has cleared)
- If you are offered to cash a check that is bigger than the amount wanted for your wedding dress and are asked to send the cash difference together with the dress be sure that this is a scam scheme!
IMPORTANT Please read:
- NEVER WIRE FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM or any other wire service – anyone who asks you to do so is a scammer.
- FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON, and BANKS WILL CASH THEM AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE when the fake is discovered weeks later.
- RESELLYOURWEDDING.COM IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY TRANSACTION, and does not handle payments, guarantee transactions, provide escrow services, or offer “buyer protection” or “seller certification”
- NEVER GIVE OUT FINANCIAL INFORMATION (bank account number, social security number, eBay/PayPal info, etc.)
- ONLY A SCAMMER WILL “GUARANTEE” YOUR TRANSACTION.
Above we have outlined the most popular examples of online fraud but unfortunately there are many more. But do not get scared, we have done our bit to keep your information secure and if you just follow a couple of simple rules you’ll be fine: Use only proven legitimate payment methods (we recommend PayPal.com or Escrow.com), never ship before payment has been cleared, and never reveal your bank details unless you have been assured by your bank that it is safe to do so.